First publishedon www.WorldHighways.com
The International Road Federation (IRF) has announced the winners of the 2017 IRF Global Road Achievement Awards at the closing of the IRF Middle East and North Africa Regional Congress and Exhibition.
This year, the IRF honours 11 projects from around the world, each leading in innovation across major road and highway disciplines. The selection was made by an international panel of senior road development specialists.
"Much of the transport sector's accomplishments are unnoticed by the hundreds of millions of people who benefit so greatly from the availability of safe, smart and interconnected road networks," said IRF chairman Abdullah Al-Mogbel. "This is precisely why the IRF's Global Road Achievement Awards provide a rare opportunity to celebrate our industry's successes, and highlight how our work supports broader societal goals.”
"For the past 17 years, our awards programme has constituted an industry reference for innovators across the globe," said IRF president and chief executive C. Patrick Sankey. "Year after year, our sector demonstrates that it is a source of cutting-edge solutions that makes a difference in our communities. By embodying our ideal of better roads for a better world, these 11 projects join an elite circle of international laureates."
The winning projects this year range from a pioneering road tunnel connecting Europe and Asia to a high water/air permeability pavement treating technology and to Dubai's new waterway system that was delivered in record time.
Winners of the 2017 GRAA competition:
Asset Preservation & Maintenance Management
- Republic of Turkey, Ministry of Transport, Maritime Affairs and Communications
- Eurasia Tunnel
- CCCC Second Highway Consultant Company (CHSCC)
- Tibet Nyingchi-Lhasa Highway
- World Bank Financed Project Office of Hubei Provincial Transportation Department
- Hubei Yiba Highway Project
- Louis Berger
- Sava River Bridge
Project Finance & Economics
- IL&FS Transportation Network Limited
- Jharkhand Accelerated Road Development Programme (JARDP)
- JW Eco-Technology Ding Tai Company
- A JW Eco-City by JW Breathing Ecological Road
- Nissan Middle East
- Aqdar Drive Safety Programme
Technology, Equipment & Manufacturing
- Korea Expressway Corporation (KEC)
- Innovative Automatic Incident Detection System
Traffic Management and Intelligent Transportation Systems
- TRANSCOM, ConSysTec and Infosenseglobal
Urban Planning & Mobility
- Dubai Roads & Transport Authority and Parsons
- Dubai Water Canal
Detailed information on each of these projects is available in the 2017 GRAA Book of Winning Projects.