Tamil Nadu road project in India

A key road project in India’s Tamil Nadu State has been awarded.
Road Structures / April 9, 2020 35 seconds Read
By MJ Woof
The highway upgrade will help improve transport in the north of Tamil Nadu State – image © courtesy of Virender Singh, Dreamstime.com

The contract for an important road project in India’s Tamil Nadu State has now been awarded. The US$116.8 million package of works will be handled by a consortium made up of Sunway Construction and RNS Infrastructure.

The consortium partners have won the concession to operate and maintain the route of a 15-year period. Sunway Construction has the 60% majority stake in the agreement, with RN Infrastructure holding the remaining 40%.

Construction work is expected to commence in October 2020 and should take 24 months to complete if the planned schedule is adhered to. The route measures 37km and the work involves widening the existing route from a single lane in either direction at present to two lanes in either direction.

The stretch of road to be upgraded lies to the south west of the city of Krishnagiri in the north of the state. The contract was awarded by the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI).